Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Tarhonya Hungarian Noodles (Gumboli , to our Family)


  3/4 cup flour
  1 large egg plus 1 teaspoon of water
  1/4 tsp salt

I mix this recipe up by hand:
I crack the egg into a small mixing bowl, add the water and salt, beat together with a fork. I then add the flour and use the fork to incorporate the flour until I can't stir any longer. I then start using my hands to mix in the remaining crumb like mixture using a squeeze and turn motion until a nice firm ball of dough forms. Go to*** 
However, you can use a food processor as follows:
 
Place the above ingredients into a food processor and process until mixture stops moving in bowl, about 1 minute. Dump mixture onto cutting board and squeeze into a firm ball of dough, until all flour it incorporated. 
***Cover with a bowl and let rest for 1/2 hour. Use the grater to grate into “Gumboli” noodles. (using the large holes of a 4 sided grater) Dip the ball of dough into a little bit of flour often to make grating easier. Spread all the noodles out evenly on cutting board or floured cookie sheet and not in clumps. Make sure you spread them out in a single layer and let them dry out about two hours. Boil a medium pot of salted water and place all the noodles in. Bring back to a boil and reduce heat to medium. Boil for 4 minutes more. Drain and rinse in cold water. Ready to be added to soup.

If you want to use the noodles at a later date, they can be frozen. Spread noodles onto floured cookie sheet and freeze for 1/2 hour. Place frozen noodles in a freezer bag and store in freezer until ready to use.

This is the noodles my Mother would make almost every Sunday for homemade Chicken Soup.
I use this noodle for my Wedded Soup. Triple this single batch recipe for the perfect amount for the Wedded Soup Recipe.

To me there is no other noodle for soup. These are easy to make and oh so delicious. They are great for the little toddler, no messy noodles to cut up in the soup. When you take a spoonful of soup, you get noodles with each and every bite. No noodles slip, sliding off the spoon. I believe these noodles may be a form of the Italian, pastina noodle, but I guess I'm partial to these since I was raised on them. For those of you that don’t want to attempt to make these, look at the grocery store for and egg noodle called Egg Noodle Farvel.

Enjoy! Élvez! Piacere! Gustirati! Radosť!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

BRAVÓ - finally someone shared this Tarhonya delight ! :)

THANK YOU for revealing a simpler way, than the back-breaking way I used to see it done in our kitchen, as a child.

I could eat Tarhonya with ANYTHING ! Like you said, you cannot go wrong with it. Good to the last nibble.

Do not have to pay out big $$ to bring it from Hungary. Make it yourself :)

THANK YOU for sharing :)