Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Sauerkraut Soup

Don’t be too judgmental...this is something worth trying.

4 1/2 cups water
4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 lb. kielbasa, cut into slices and each slice into fourths
1 large (16 oz) can sauerkraut (do not drain)
1 medium onion, chopped
1 cup sour cream
1 Tbsp. flour

In Dutch oven, bring water, potatoes and salt to a boil. Cook until tender, about 10 minutes. Add kielbasa (or any smoked sausage you prefer), sauerkraut, and onion. Bring to a boil again, about 10 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine sour cream and flour. Gradually stir in about 1 cup of the hot soup mixture. This is so the sour cream warms up slowly and doesn't curdle. Return the sour cream mixture back into the soup. Blend well. Heat thoroughly, but do not let boil.

This recipe was developed over my daughters’ love of sauerkraut as well as my own immense love for it.

It is very easy to make and freezes well for serving later. I would make this and always have a few small containers frozen in the freezer for when the girls would be home on break from college. Who knows, my daughter Kate loves this soup so much, I’m sure there may be a song written about it someday. Just joking.

I put no black pepper in this recipe, but when I serve myself a cup of this soup, I load it up with several sprinkles to my taste. It usually is a lot. I’m a true pepper lover...it is probably my favorite spice.

Enjoy! Élvez! Piacere! Gustirati! Radosť!

No comments: